Saturday, May 22, 2010

Too Much Attention To Siss

The delighted recognition exhibited by the valets was repeated on the 24th floor as we emerged from the elevator into the open arms (or so to speak) of the hostess, the maitre'd, the sommalier, and the wait staff. Sig had told the reservations desk that we were celebrating a birthday, so we were ushered to the best window table, a corner from which you can see the Houston skyline in several directions. I couldn't even watch my sister try to negotiate in those heels, so I walked in front, coward that I am. Without even having to ask, the waiter glided over with a glass of one of my favorite wines, BV Tapestry, a meritage from California that I think is the only wine that BV produces that is worth drinking. , This, from a woman who used to drink Carlo Rossi from a jug!

Siss ordered a Pinot Grigio, and we let the games begin. "Games" is the proper word. She long ago relegated me to the safe role of "little sister", and constantly asserts, jokingly of course, that "it is all about her". Seeing me in my current iteration as the beloved of a very kind and generous man, she sailed through the dinner on a cloud of birthday supremacy. Of course it was all about her, even though I got all the attention. Who cares, anyway? I knew those people, and they were very sweet because they had been oiled with Sig's money over quite a period of time. However, as a talisman against turning into the evil bitch that I can be, I ordered a second bottle of Tapestry "to go" from the delighted waiter.

I had Ahi, which is a comfort food for me, and several glasses of Tapestry, also a comfort food. During the dinner, the sky treated us to an amazing lightning and thunder display. Being on the 24th floor with almost a 360-degree view, it was pretty spectacular. In retrospect, I should have considered it to be an omen of things to come. Lightning and thunder. I was ready to grab my spare bottle of Tapestry by the neck and head for the room but the waiter had one more treat in store. He descended upon us with a ganache-covered mountain of a dessert, complete with birthday candle. It was swoony, and I had a cappuccino as well. Then, I grabbed that bottle by the neck and we headed down to watch movies in bed, having merely signed the bill and the tip to be charged to the room. I could get used to this. The patent leather stilettos barely made it, and were tossed aside in favor of some Lancaster County scuffs. We spent the remainder of the evening watching the passing storm, exchanging sisterly gossip and watching a movie on the charge-it-to-your-room channel. I don't remember what we saw, but leave it to my wonderful Sig to leave his credit card open for all our wants and needs. He really is a prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment